Communications/Media Relations Specialist - Environment and Climate
Burness is seeking an Africa-based Communications Consultant to support our team based out of the Nairobi office. Burness is a public relations firm serving nonprofit organizations around the world.
We’re looking for a dynamic and energetic individual with at least five to seven years of experience with a public relations agency or with a nonprofit organization. The team supports organizations on issues as diverse as responsible technology, vaccines, saving the world’s crop diversity, indigenous land rights, food security in developing countries, livestock production in Africa, and illegal logging.
- BA/BS (Communications, International Relations, Global Health or International Development preferred);
- 5-7 years of previous communications experience, preferably with an international organization or public relations firm;
- Writing experience and skill in translating complex information into compelling written products;
- Media relations experience including contacting journalists and securing earned media placements;
- Media training experience—working with spokespeople to be effective communicators;
- Self-starter who can handle last-minute assignments, juggle multiple priorities and produce assignments with a high level of precision;
- Team oriented but able to self-manage and make and meet team and personal deadlines;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, French an asset;
- Strong MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and research skills; and
- Experience using social media for communications outreach and for research/tracking, including Twitter and Facebook;
- Legally allowed to work in country of residence.
- Interest and experience in responsible technology (digital ID), global health, international agriculture issues and global development;
- Experience working in multiple African countries;
- Speaks another language fluently, preferably French or Swahili.
- This is a part-time consultancy position with the possibility of transitioning into a full-time position.
Burness is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive pay and a collegial work environment.
We will continue to review applicants on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
To apply, please send your CV with cover letter, 2 references, two writing samples, and daily consultancy rate to firstname.lastname@example.org.