We seek candidates with 5-10 years of experience in international public relations for a global communications position working with nonprofits, international agencies and foundations working in agriculture and food security.
Burness is a mission-driven communications firm committed to helping nonprofits advance social change worldwide. Since our founding more than 30 years ago, we’ve worked with more than 700 nonprofits globally.
Experience in the areas of agricultural development and food security and experience working in Africa is desired.
You are a good fit for this position if you can:
- Develop and execute communications strategies—including writing communications plans and writing key messages.
- Be a trusted thought partner and advisor, able to devise strong approaches for handling complex communications challenges.
- Synthesize and translate complicated material into clear and simple language tailored to client needs.
- Be a strong verbal communicator, able to convey complex ideas and think clearly and concisely.
- Write and edit compelling talking points, press releases, statements, op-eds, blogs, talking points, fact sheets and other short form communications products.
- Handle crisis communications situations.
- Design media strategies that lead to strong media coverage.
- Build strong digital strategies into all communication to reach key audiences and drive story uptake.
- Go deep on content in areas such as agriculture science, food security, food systems, the agriculture-energy nexus and climate change.
Strong preference for a Washington, DC, area-based employee.
Burness offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Send resume, writing samples and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.